PreCourse Assessment

As a writer, I think my basic strengths include that I can write out my thoughts and ideas fairly quickly. Usually, my grammar and punctuation do not pose as big problems (however, if I don’t write for a long time, I get a little rusty). I usually can concentrate and focus quickly, so I can write all in one go, and usually editing does not take too long either. I don’t usually write outlines or do too much planning ahead, unless I am confused about what I need to do (in which case, I often go to my professor or my peers for help). At most, I will do a few bullet points or annotate the assignment sheet with my ideas and continue from there. To edit, I quickly skim my work for grammar and/or incomplete or poorly explained ideas. I also  make sure my work is properly cited and well placed. My weaknesses include that I do not spend too much time with my work- usually I write essays or papers in one sitting (only when required do I create first drafts). I think it would be better if I did spend more time thinking and working earlier so I could limit my procrastination and allow for more opportunities for my teacher or myself to catch flaws or errors in my work. Also, if I am confused with an assignment, sometimes the focus of my work or my topic sentences may be off, which could have been rectified if I had attempted a first draft earlier and asked others if I am completing the assignment correctly.

In terms of experience, I have taken English courses throughout my academic career, including AP Literature and AP Language and Composition. I took extracurricular writing courses as well, such as English Scholars Program, in which I wrote poetry or short stories, all to be presented at the end of the year. I had also taken Science Research and conducted neuroscience research at Mount Sinai concerning the effect of gender on Depression. I had written research papers and submitted ot competitions as well as presented my findings (which also required that I had read many journals for background in my topic). I have also written many history research papers throughout high school.

In this class, I would like to work on the previous weaknesses that i had mentioned, as well as improve my skill at reading scientific works. I would also like to learn how to communicate my ideas more thoroughly and develop my scientific persuasive skills. Finally, I would like to fine tune an effective method to research efficiently and extensively with resources from this school.